Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Pedrasa_Animation Inspiration



One of my favorite animators and current obsessions is David O'Reilly. He uses minimal 3-D modeling, is one of the earliest proponents of glitch art, and has a refreshingly filthy, absurd sense of humor. He has done work in Spike Jonze's Her and Adventure Time. Though I love many of his animations, I picked RGB XYZ because it seems to be somewhere in between the crude, MS-Paint/Kid Pix-esque art styles resemblant of his old works such as Octocat, and the more thematically artful, 3-D animated style of his recent work such as The External World. Furthermore, I have been exploring the possibilities of databending for the past couple years, and appreciate how he uses its effects in animation. Also this film is straight-up bizarre and hilarious.

I'm not sure which direction my project will take, but the above is definitely a possible model. Other animations I love are J. G. Quintel's 2 in the AM PM, Pendleton Ward's original Adventure Time short (2006), Madeline Sharafian's Omelette, and Natasha Allegri's Bee and Puppycat. These are all highly influential on me as an artist, or even a human, and are potential sources for me to pull inspiration from.

No comments:

Post a Comment