Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Brockette_Experiment 1/2


Movement from Casey Brockette on Vimeo.

Here is my After Effects movement experiment. I thought it could be interesting to take very flat images like 19th century illustrations/engravings and make them kinetic using After Effects. I thought the process would be relatively simple, and while it was it was still very time consuming. I ended up with somewhere around 70 different layers from a photoshop file of just snowflakes and couldn't figure out a better way to do motion paths for them except one by one. I'm hoping that there is a simpler way to achieve this effect of each image having its own path.





This gif is what I decided to do for my first experiment, the fact that it's motion based again is just a coincidence. I've always appreciated the subtlety of cinemagraphs and and I wanted to figure out how to do it for myself. Finding a tutorial online was relatively simple, but discerning the directions was a completely different matter. After finishing it I realize I should have kept more movement frames so the gif would be longer and not as sporadic as it appears now. I also had trouble figuring out the vector mask, but eventually through trial and error along with random happen stance I got it to work correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment